From Roswell, Georgia, USA:

Is it safe to take the newly released Xenadrine RFA (ephedrine free) if you have type 2 diabetes and are taking Glucophage [metformin]?

I believe that Xenadrine RFA-1 contains ephedra which has the following warnings:

Contraindications include increased blood pressure, increased heart rate, heart palpitations, and can lead to stroke. Do not take ephedra if you are pregnant, nursing or have heart disease, anxiety disorders (panic attacks), high blood pressure, diabetes, glaucoma, or an overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism).
I would not feel comfortable recommending this product for someone with diabetes. I suggest you consider safer methods of weight loss such as working with a registered dietician and/or joining Weight Watchers or some other sensible weight loss program.

[Editor's comment: The manufacturers website says the following about this product:

• Capsules per bottle: 120
  • Servings per bottle: 60 (30 day cycle)
  • Two capsules of Xenadrine contain:
  • Citrus Aurantium (4% synephrine): 125 mg
  • MaHuang (6% ephedrine): 335 mg
  • Guarana Extract (22% caffeine) 910 mg
  • White Willow Bark (15% salicin): 105 mg
  • Acetyl L-Carnitine: 100 mg
  • L-Tyrosine: 80 mg
  • Ginger Root: 50 mg
  • Vitamin B5: 40 mg
  • Ingredients: Calcium Phosphate, Talc, Gelatine, Magnesium Stearate.

[Editor's comment: Looking around the Internet, it appears that Xenadrine RFA does indeed contain ephedra, contrary to your understanding. Ephedra is the herb that contains ephedrine. It is also known as Ma Huang and has been used in China for medicinal purposes for thousands of years. Ephedrine is metabolized to norephedrine, which is responsible for the nervous system stimulating effects of the drug. WWQ]

Posted to Other Medications