Question:

From New Britain, Connecticut, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes, and, for the past six months, my pinky finger and part of my ring finger on both hands have been numb. I was told it could be carpal tunnel syndrome. What is the cause of numbness in my hands? Is it related to my diabetes or something else?

Answer:

The distribution of your numbness corresponds to entrapment of the ulnar nerve. I would suggest you speak with your physician about doing an EMG which will localize the anatomic site of the entrapment and help with future strategies for treatment. The ulnar nerve is frequently compressed at the level of the elbow and is the nerve that corresponds with the funny bone over your elbow.