Question:

From Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA:

At my last diabetes quarterly checkup, the doctor did a complete physical, reviewed my lab results, and told me there's no need to come in quarterly, but to come back in a year for another complete physical which is contrary to what the diabetes education team has been stressing all along. Is it common for doctors to see diabetes patients only once a year? Of course, I'd like to spend less time at the doctor's office, but should I be comfortable with this new recommendation? Is it common for doctors to see diabetes patients only once a year?

Answer:

I would agree with you that the frequency should be more than yearly for person with typeá2 diabetes, and the recommendation suggests quarterly checkups,unless control is very good and is durable. In that case, the frequency can be decreased to twice a year. If you are doing as well as you say, talk to your physician about going to every six months. That would be consistent with current recommendations and a nice compromise.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.