Question:

From Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA:

At my last diabetes quarterly checkup, the doctor did a complete physical, reviewed my lab results, and told me there's no need to come in quarterly, but to come back in a year for another complete physical which is contrary to what the diabetes education team has been stressing all along. Is it common for doctors to see diabetes patients only once a year? Of course, I'd like to spend less time at the doctor's office, but should I be comfortable with this new recommendation? Is it common for doctors to see diabetes patients only once a year?

Answer:

I would agree with you that the frequency should be more than yearly for person with type 2 diabetes, and the recommendation suggests quarterly checkups,unless control is very good and is durable. In that case, the frequency can be decreased to twice a year. If you are doing as well as you say, talk to your physician about going to every six months. That would be consistent with current recommendations and a nice compromise.