Question:

From Mason City, Illinois, USA:

My seven year old daughter, who has an insulin pump, has just informed me that she has been invited to a sleep over by a friend who does not have diabetes. How do I approach and educate the parents without scaring them to "not invite" her because of her disease?

Answer:

The best way to talk with a parent is to be as honest and as matter-of-fact as possible. Insulin pumps should not be any more frightening than injections, and in fact many adult care-givers find pumps less worrisome since they don't have to learn how to inject a child with insulin, but instead, just check the site to be sure the catheter is not dislodged. Some parents of children with diabetes will stop at the "sleep-over" house just before bedtime to check on their child and then stop back at that house first thing in the morning (leaving quickly after each check). Others just have their child call them to inform them of what they've done (basal/bolus) information, blood sugar number, etc). You can do whatever makes the parent in that home more comfortable.

JWB

Posted to Other Social Issues