Question:

From Jonesboro, Georgia, USA:

My niece, who has type 1 diabetes, is starting college next month and plans to study to be a dietitian. I am searching for any scholarship money that might be available.

Answer:

Have your niece contact the college she will attend. They sometimes have special scholarships or other assistance under a variety of medical plans:

• diabetes
  • medical disabilities
  • chronic illnesses
These are some categories that they don't always tell you about.

[Editor's comment: Some states have assistance for young people with chronic disease. Your niece's school counsellor and diabetes team may be able to help you locate resources. SS]

[Editor's comment: Also, see Scholarship information at this website. WWQ]

DTQ-20021125124510B