Question:

From Florida, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes, I am currently 18 weeks pregnant, and I am suffering a severe chest cold with congestion. My obstetrician told me to take Robitussin sugar-free and Tylenol for discomfort and ride out the cold, but I have been getting two to three hours of sleep per night for the past three days, and I know this can not be healthy for the baby. I is there something else I could do to ease my suffering?

Answer:

For an acute illness such as this, you should consult further with your physician. In general, a "cold" can be managed much as would be done if you were not pregnant: pain reliever, decongestant, liquids and rest. The lack of sleep will not hurt the baby. If you are not getting better, then speak with your doctor.

Posted to Family Planning