Question:

From Newark, Ohio, USA:

I just recently went to the hospital because I had been having really bad headaches. They took some blood tests and found that my blood sugar was at 1000 and my glucose was at 390 mg/dl [21.7 mmol/L]. I have looked up things and talked to people who have all said that if it was that high I would have been either dead or in a coma, but I felt fine. They said it was gestational diabetes because I am two months pregnant. Could everything be okay if it was that high?

Answer:

The results of your laboratory test do not make any sense. I would suggest that you clarify these with your doctor. If there is still concern or questions, then I would be happy to readdress them.

[Editor's comment: You mention a blood sugar of 1000 mg/dl [55.6 mmol/L]. This doesn't quite fit with the other result you mentioned of a glucose [another name for sugar] level of 390 mg/dl [21.7 mmol/L]. We strongly suspect your 1000 value was a urine sugar result, which would be completely compatible with a blood glucose of 390 mg/dl [21.7 mmol/L], and both would be consistent with diabetes or gestational diabetes. Be sure to see a doctor specializing in diabetes pregnancies as soon as possible for further advice. Also, see Family Planning for young women with diabetes and Planning a pregnancy , at the Diabetes Monitor, for some additional thoughts. WWQ]

Posted to Gestational Diabetes