Question:

From Columbia, South Carolina, USA:

I am a woman who has had type 1 diabetes for 30 years, and I have probably been dealing with severe depression for at least 10 years, although I am not taking any medication for it. Is there anything that can be done about my absolute lack of libido?

I know this is not normal in a loving relationship, and I'm sure it has something to do with my diabetes, even though my control is pretty good. (last hemoglobin A1c =7.%3) This problem is becoming stressful in my relationship because I just have no desire to do anything for months at a time. I don't feel comfortable asking my doctor about this.

Answer:

Issues of libido may relate to your depression. Depression is much more common in people with diabetes, compared to the general population. I would suggest you speak with your physician and ask about a mental health professional that you can feel comfortable. I know it is uncomfortable to initiate this action. However, there may be several things that can be done to help you and your partner. The treatment does not always require taking medications, although this may help when the depression is difficult to treat.