From Cebu City, the Philippines:

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about two months ago, have been taking two injections per day, and I've been doing my regular exercise and diet. I've been monitoring my blood sugar, and it seems that it is lowering down. I read a booklet that says persons without diabetes have blood sugars less than 160 mg/dl [8.9 mmol/L] one hour after meals and less than 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] at two hour. I've been following this guide for two weeks already, and right now I'm quitting on my twice daily injections. Is it right to quit injecting my insulin and try to maintain blood glucose in this range?

There is a condition termed the honeymoon period that occurs in people with type 1 diabetes. It usually occurs after the initial diagnosis and is though to be a result of the recovery of the insulin-producing cells (what is left of them) after the high sugar has been lowered. The honeymoon period may last days to weeks. Its duration is thought to be related to the degree of control during the recovery. Therefore, good control allows for a longer duration of good results for your blood sugar with decreased or even no insulin given. However, the diabetes returns at some point. You need to check your sugars and share them with your physician in order to dose the insulin in the proper amounts.

Posted to Honeymoon