From Park Ridge, Illinois, USA:

At a regular checkup, my two and a half year old son was found to have an abnormally high ketone level, but normal glucose. He is otherwise normal, extremely verbal and bright. He is energetic and loves to run, but gets a little flushed and coughs after strenuous exercise. My wife had gestational diabetes, which was treated by diet and she has had no problem since. Is this likely to be type 1 diabetes and if not, what? Is the high ketone level life threatening? We will follow up on the checkup soon, but I am worried now.

My best guess is that he was hungry. Yes, busy children run out of fuel easily, begin to burn fats as a source of energy, and ketones are the product of fat metabolism. It's likely that's all it was, especially if the urine sugar was negative. I wouldn't worry too much at all.