From Frankfort, Ohio, USA:

My 22 year old son, who has had diabetes since he was 14, is very depressed over his diabetes. He told me he feels like his body is dying on him. He can't sleep, and he is an emotional and physical wreck. He had trouble when he was working, passing out and such so now he is not working and not insured. He is 6 feet 5 inches tall, weighs only 133 pounds, and he has lost 32 pounds.

Is there any place that can help him start to get his diabetes under some kind of control and help him emotionally? I'm so worried about him, but I cannot find anyone who can help, and I feel like I am losing my son. He needs a place where he can be with not only doctors helping with his diabetes but also with counselors helping him cope with it and help with some way of paying for his care. His physical and emotional health are most important. Please help. I don't want to lose my son to this disease.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with resources in Ohio; however, there is a very good facility in Virginia called Cumberland. It focuses on the emotional, psychological, and medical aspects of diabetes. Your son does need intervention right away and you are right to seek a solution. He must be seen as soon as possible to evaluate and placed in an inpatient facility.

[Editor's comment: I suggest your contact a medial social worker at the nearest hospital for assistance. Your son's doctor may be able to hospitalize him while things are getting sorted out. Unfortunately however, your son is an adult, and you cannot do too much unless he is willing to get the help he needs. SS]

Posted to Behavior