From La Jolla, California, USA:

My readings were in a reasonable range until I got a severe chest cold. Although I'm eating very little, they have been in the 200s [mg/dl, 11. mmol/L] for three days. Is this a direct result of my cold?

Yes. When you have an intercurrent illness, the level of stress hormones go up in your body. These include adrenaline (also known as epinephrine), cortisol, and growth hormone. These hormones directly antagonize insulin and work to increase the blood sugars. The sugars stay elevated for the duration of the illness. If the illness lasts long enough, you need to speak to your physician about a plan to lower the sugars by adding additional medication toward lowering your sugars during the illness.

Posted to Sick Days