Question:

From Spring Valley, Illinois, USA:

If I check my blood sugar and it is high, can I take my medications (Actos and Starlix) without eating?

Answer:

The Actos [pioglitazone] does not have to be given with meals. However, Starlix [nateglinide] is a medication designed to increase insulin secretion around the time of the meal. If you have a high sugar before a meal and then take your medication, it is unlikely to cause low sugars. However, this is an inefficient way to take your medication. I recommend speaking with your physician if your sugars are high before meals. You may need to have your medications changed.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes