From Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada:

My 14 year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about 16 months ago, has been experiencing difficulty in school with homework and completing assignments. His mother and I were divorced when he was age three, be lives with her in extremely comfortable surroundings along with her current husband and two other children, He visits me at my home almost every weekend that the family social schedule will allow. His mother is convinced that he also suffers from a very mild case of ADD, and, although some of his teachers and his former pediatrician agree, I suspect that they may be deferring to her somewhat overpowering personality.

My reason for questioning this diagnosis is that when he is with me or when we are with mutual friends, he never displays any type of radical behavior. In fact, everyone who knows him expresses disbelief if I confidentially approach the subject. Like most other children, he dislikes homework and other disagreeable tasks, but has no difficulty at all with concentration, anger management, or completing any task that is interesting and enjoyable. His mother is a very successful business owner with a demanding schedule, and the last year or so has been quite hectic with additional pressure resulting from today's economic downturn. My concern is that her diagnosis of ADD may be incorrect and his behavior at home may be a result of his environment rather than any psychiatric problem. Do you have any experience here? Can you refer me to an appropriate advisor?

You should talk to your son's pediatrician and get an official opinion. There are elegant ways to make the diagnosis of ADD or ADHD that schools have available. The guidance counselor is another resource for you to discuss all of this.

Posted to Behavior and ADHD