From Kansas City, Missouri, USA:

I am a 26 year old African American female, and I have a strong family history of diabetes. I exercise regularly and maintain a healthy body weight. I have read that the incidence of diabetes correlates with diet exercise, and body weight, and that people with a genetic predisposition to diabetes should avoid fatty foods, red meat, and foods high in refined sugar. Are there any scientifically established causal factors of diabetes? Do these foods themselves cause diabetes? Do these foods make people gain weight and being fat is the cause? Should I change my diet to avoid the above mentioned foods? Please help, as I receive different answers from the doctors and nutritionists who I have spoken with about this. Are there any articles (medical or lay) that you can recommend?

You have raised some of the key public health questions that face our country and our world. In an age of processed foods, high in refined sugar and saturated fat, we are more obese, and incidence of diabetes is paralleling the onset of obesity. In families where there is a genetic predisposition for type 2 diabetes, watching weight, staying more physically active, and living a healthy lifestyle is even more critical. I see avoiding the refined sugars and high fat foods as working to avoid the excess weight gain that will increase your risk of developing type 2 diabetes. The genes that may be responsible for causing diabetes are not clearly defined and remain the subject of intense exercise.

[Editor's comment: See Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP). SS]