From Henderson, Nevada, USA:

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a couple of years ago. I know all soda is bad for you in general, and I do drink water all the time with the exception of when I eat. I assume drinking diet soda is better than drinking regular soda, but recently my local bartender (I don't drink alcohol, but I like to socialize) said that the diet soda is loaded with sugar, I read the labels and the bottles that I purchase at the grocery store all state 0 grams of sugar. Is he mistaken or does fountain soda like what I get at the bar actually contain sugar. Wouldn't that be illegal?

As long as the soda is diet, there should be no carbs or sugar in the beverage. Diet sodas taste sweet because they substitute sugar found in regular sodas with an artificial sweetener, which will not affect blood sugars. These artificial sweeteners are usually sucralose, aspartame, saccharin, or a combination of these. I am not aware of any diet sodas at fountains that would contain sugar or carbohydrates.

[Editor's comment: Also, see Tips about Diet Soda Pop at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]