From Ontario, Canada:

I coach a competitive soccer team and I have a player that has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Searching the web, I have not found anything to help me deal with this player. My father is also type 1 so I am comfortable with diabetes, but as a coach it would be helpful to know what signs to look for, what treatment to use, what do we need in our first aid kit if the parents aren't there, and are there any special needs that this player may have that I should be aware of. There should be more information on sport specific web sites for special needs players. Maybe with help I can get some information that I can try to get posted on some of the sites I generally use.

Yes, there's a website for people with diabetes interested in sports. The Diabetes Exercise & Sports Association (formerly the International Diabetic Athletes Association) has a website at

You may also want to look over the information for school personnel at this website, at Diabetes Management at School.

Posted to Exercise and Sports and Other