Question:

From Delta, Pennsylvania, USA:

I check my fasting blood sugar every few days with a glucose meter. It ranges between 160-180 mg/dl [8.9-10 mmol/L], and when I used to go to an endocrinologist, she would be upset if it was 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L]. My family doctor says he doesn't want to put me on insulin yet, which is okay with me, but doesn't think it is bad enough for oral medications either. My niece, who has diabetes, says my count is awfully high for a fast. What is "normal"? Should I be alarmed? Should I see another doctor for a second opinion?

Answer:

You should go back and see that endocrinologist again! Your morning blood sugar when you wake up should be less than 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] and your blood sugar two hours after you start eating any meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner) should be less than 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L]. There are many oral hypoglycemic agents you can take now to lower your blood sugar, alone and in combination. The sooner you get treatment the better, before you develop serious complications from untreated diabetes.

JS