Question:

From Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA:

I am an 18 year old girl with type 1 diabetes, and recently I have been in very good control (A1c:7.0%), but for the last week, my blood sugars have consistently been running in the 200-300s mg/dl [11.1-16.7 mmol/L] despite my efforts of increasing my insulin dosage. I do have a cold and also had my period last week, but I have been ketone free for the most part. Could my cold and my period contribute this heavily to my high blood sugars? Why are they running so high? I need suggestions on how to bring my blood sugars down.

Answer:

By the time you actually read this, I hope that your high glucose issues would have been resolved. No doubt, many women note changes in their glucose readings at various times of the their menstrual cycle, but why this would occur now during this period - and not with other periods, is uncertain.

"Out of the blue" higher readings often are unexplained and may relate to other "stresses." You are wise to know to be monitoring for ketones. You did not indicate what type(s) of insulin you take, but not uncommonly, it is my experience that Humalog and NovoLog do not work well enough during ketosis, and often "higher-than-usual" correction doses are required. Some clinicians prefer to use Regular insulin in these situations. If you are on an insulin pump, you might want to replace the entire insertion set up, tubing, cartridge, and insertion site. I would also suggest opening a new bottle of insulin during these times.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA