Question:

From Surrey, England:

I would like an idea of different food groups, food alternatives, and recipes for my two year old son when not in my care.

Answer:

I recommend that you schedule an appointment with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning to receive some guidance. Especially at this young age, food preferences play a big role in diabetes meal planning. Meal plans are much more individualized and tailored towards food preferences nowadays without compromising blood sugar control. Ask you physician for a referral to an RD, you won't regret it.

JMS

[Editor's comment: Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge and Richard Rubin a great reference for managing a toddler with diabetes. SS]