From Ohio, USA:

My well controlled daughter (hemoglobin A1c: 6.5 or less) was found to have protein in her urine just six months after diagnosis of type I diabetes, we continue to monitor it, and the amount never changes. I am being told that the protein in her urine has nothing to do with her diabetes because. They say that proteinuria occurs after years of diabetes. Is this something to be concerned about? Should we seek further assistance for her?

I would get two urines; one while upright and the other while lying down. In short one first thing in the morning, right as she awakens and one after she has been up a most of the day -- spot urines for microalbumin. Postural proteinuria isn't thought to be a disease. See if this is the case.