Question:

From Milford, Pennsylvania, USA:

My son has autism and we know that he is not going to drink the standard solution used for a glucose tolerance test. I have heard that there are other things you can eat or drink that might be used as substitutes (Candy bar, jelly beans, apple or orange juice). Is there an alternative to drinking the standard liquid to do a glucose tolerance test? Would it be valid to test his blood with a meter instead of all out needle jabs or intravenous?

Answer:

No is the answer. Do it right or not at all. That said, why do it at all? A glucose tolerance test is not much use for anything as far as I am concerned. The diagnosis of diabetes. according to the American Diabetes Association Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes Guidelines, can be made if there are two fasting blood sugars (done in a lab) greater 126 mg/dl [7 mmol/L] or a random blood sugar greater than 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] in an individual with symptoms of diabetes If you're looking for hypoglycemia, test at home during the actual conditions.