Question:

From Anson, Texas, USA:

My mother, who has type 2 diabetes, was taking Glucovance and Starlix [nateglinide], but after she started to have high sugar readings in the mornings about a month ago, her doctor started her on Lantus (insulin glargine). It seems to be really helping except she has noticed some ankle swelling in the last couple of days. Could the Lantus cause this?

Answer:

Initiation of insulin, no matter what type, can cause transient salt and water retention. It is usually not permanent. I would suggest that if the swelling remains, you have your mother contact her physician so that other causes of leg swelling can be ruled out.

Posted to Insulin Analogs