From Charlotte, North Carolina, USA, on the day after Halloween:

I went trick-or-treating yesterday. I am addicted to sweets, and I can't stop eating them. What should I do?

Sometimes people crave certain types of foods, and when they eat any of them, they can't stop. We sometimes call these trigger foods. If you have this kind of a problem with sweets, you should probably either ask someone else to hold your candy for you so you can eat just a little at a time or give it away. Have the fun of going trick or treating but offer it to others -- before you get into it. You might also try eating something that tastes sweet but is far healthier such as a piece of fruit. I hope this helps you tame your sweet tooth a little. It is good you know that you have a problem so you can think of ways to work on it.

Additional comments from James Michael Schurig, RD, LD, CDE:

Even sweets can be worked into a meal plan for someone with diabetes. The key is to use moderation and portion control with the sweets. Use your food labels on the candy and work these in for an occasional treat.