Question:

From Oceanside, California, USA:

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last spring, and we decided I would try to treat it with diet and exercise, but I have been very slack and hardly exercised so I have gained weight (about 10 pounds) instead. I eat everything and don't test my blood or anything. I'm 4 feet 11 inches tall and weigh about 140 pounds now. now. I have had a kidney transplant for 13 years now, and I have osteoporosis along with osteoarthritis. I don't show any symptoms of diabetes other than my blood work and feel fine.I'm due to go back to the doctor shortly, but I'm sure you've guessed by now that I'm somewhat in denial over it all. If I don't take care of my diabetes, how soon could I start experiencing symptoms or complications?

Answer:

I urge you not to adopt a bury your head in the sand approach. Even though your burdens are greater, you will be so much better off if you address your diabetes. Even if you do not feel badly, the sugars are likely to be bad enough to cause problems. The other issue is that if you do not treat this, it could get so serious as to be more difficult in the future. I urge you to find an empathetic and supportive diabetes care team to help you address the issues with your diabetes. What you don't feel can hurt you.

Posted to Complications and Type 2