From Mill Creek, Washington, USA:

My nine year old son has had type 1 diabetes for about three years, and we have never been able to get/keep his A1c lower than about 8.5%. I have heard of a complication that causes delayed sexual maturation and bone density increases in pubescent kids, so I am concerned that the mediocre control we have attained to this point may put him at risk for this complication in the future. What do you think? W hat is the complication called? Where can I get more info on it?

I can't answer it all. I wouldn't expect a hemoglobin A1c of 8.5% to delay puberty at all. As to the bone density, I don't know.