Question:

From Las Vegas, Nevada, USA:

In the next few months, we are relocating to Diamond Head, Mississippi, and I am in need of a good hospital and pediatric endocrinologist to take over the care of my daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two and a half years ago. Currently, she is under the care of a pediatric endocrinologist who specializes in diabetes and feels in her case it is extremely important that she remains under the care of a "pediatric" physician who specializes in diabetes and endocrinology. I heard there was a good children's hospital in New Orleans I believe, but I haven't located it. Thanks for any help you can provide me.

Answer:

There are some terrific pediatric endocrinologists in New Orleans at LSU and Tulane along with a pediatric endocrinologist at LSU in Shrevesport. Your daughter's current pediatric endocrinologist should be able to help you. Pediatric endocrinologists are most often part of the pediatric academic staff at medical schools or children's hospitals.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

Your current doc knows you and your child the best -- ask them to make a specific recommendation. The Louisiana Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and American Diabetes Association chapters also may have some recommendations as may some of the chat room parents at this website.

[Editor's comment: Also, see Finding a New Diabetes Doctor at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]