From Pawnee, Oklahoma, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes and can control my sugar until I eat, but then it goes high. For example, I get up in morning have a good blood sugar, eat oatmeal and toast for breakfast, and one hour later my sugar is way up again. If I don't eat, it will stay normal. I take Glucotrol XL, and my doctor gave me Starlix [nateglinide] to take before I eat, but this has had no effect at all.

I am completely confused about what to eat or when, and I just don't seem to be getting any answer here. I am aware about exercise, and although I am overweight, I am working on this, and I am careful of what I eat. Any suggestions would be most helpful.

It would be good to see your diabetes team and bring your blood glucose numbers with you. I think they may well change your diabetes medications. I do hope that you are able to do as much activity as possible, since that will help with your blood glucoses and your weight.

Additional comments from James Michael Schurig, RD, LD, CDE:

I would suggest you meet with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning in order to develop a meal plan that would assist with optimal blood sugar control and meet your individual caloric needs. Checking blood sugars one hour after a meal will usually show a higher blood sugar compared with premeal blood sugars because of the effect of food on your blood sugar. Meal plans nowadays are more individualized than in previous years. Speak with your physician if you need a referral to a dietitian.

[Editor's comment: The two medications you are taking for diabetes are doing the same thing -- and perhaps you should also be on a different class of medication to help with insulin resistance. I'd suggest you ask for a referral to a full diabetes team -- dietitian, endocrinologist, and diabetes nurse educator.

Also, see Type 2 diabetes at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Pills for Diabetes