From North Canton, Ohio, USA:

I am 53 years old and was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. What is the maximum number of grams of sugar and carbohydrate I can consume in a day?

This is a great question but unfortunately, there is no such thing as a "one size fits all" meal plan for people with diabetes. Each meal plan is individualized based on a number of factors: age, gender, activity, other health problems (high cholesterol/triglycerides, hypertension, etc.), and specific food likes/dislikes.

I recommend that you schedule a visit with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning. He/she can develop a meal plan that will control blood sugars and meet your caloric needs. If you are unsure of an RD in your area, ask your physician for a referral.