From Monroe, Georgia, USA:

My six year old nephew is severely obese (weighs 130-135 pounds), there's a strong family history of type 2 diabetes, and doctors think he may have it (awaiting test results). If his parents do not get his weight under control, what could possibly happen to him? Doctors have said he could be wheelchair bound by mid-teens or possibly dead by early 20s. Is this accurate? Where can we go for food plan information for child his age with so much weight to lose?

I agree that his weight is likely to pose a significant health risk including early death if no interventions are made. There are many causes of such weight gain which should be clearly investigated by his pediatrician and a pediatric endocrinologist.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss and Research: Causes and Prevention