Question:

From Long Island, New York, USA:

We perform intravenous pyelograms in our x-ray office and usually restrict patients who are taking metformin from continuing their medication until they can establish their kidney function. We quiz the patients about which diabetes medication they take and know all the brand names for metformin but other than Glucophage we are having trouble finding which medications contain it. Could you provide a list of medications that contain metformin as a part of their mixture?

Answer:

As far as I am aware, there are two now with a third one soon available: Glucophage, Glucovance, and recently approved (but not yet commercially available) Avandamet.

Additional comments from Barb Schreiner, diabetes nurse specialist:

I only know of Glucovance and Avandamet.

BS

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

Go to the PDR either in book form or to PDR.net, and you can locate such a list quite easily.

[Editor's comment: See Combination Pills for Diabetes at the Diabetes Monitor. SS]

Posted to Pills for Diabetes