From Ashland, Missouri, USA:

My five year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about two months ago, is already developing a lot of scar tissue on his poor little fingers. I don't know what on earth we are going to do about that. We have tried to test on his arms, but can't get even a drop of blood out. Do you have any suggestions so he won't develop such bad scar tissue in his fingers?

The fingerstick issues can be addressed several ways. First of all, certain glucose meters require very small amounts of blood. The FreeStyle meter, for example, uses the smallest amount. That meter (as well as the One Touch® Ultra, Glucometer DEX , and Glucometer Elite) can use alternative site testing such as the front and back of the arms, the thighs, and the heel of the thumb. You could actually use toes and the heel of the foot, too, but the skin there is thicker. At the thigh and arm, you should rub the skin rather briskly to get some good circulation before the stick. Similarly, you could use a warm compress or similar to get some good circulation to the spot. Be careful that the skin is completely dry before the stick.

As for scarring of the fingertips, be certain that the level of the spring on your poker is set at the lowest level that still allows a poke. For a five year old, I'd think you should get by with the lowest three settings. There are products and lotions made specifically to soften the injection sites. Check this site or look in a lay-person journal, but I'd think that any good moisturizer should do.