Question:

From Acworth, Georgia, USA:

My son is on an insulin pump.

I know they say that fats and proteins don't really effect blood sugar levels, but I am having trouble controlling my son's blood sugar levels when he eats meat like ground beef or hot dogs, plain pastas, pastas with cheese, and pizza. I give him the appropriate amount of insulin for his carbs and he is fine in two hours after his Humalog peaks, but then he has these really late highs when he eats foods like this. Is there any rule of thumb that I may use to help me with the high fat or protein meals?

Answer:

Pizza is a food that can be more slowly absorbed compared to other foods. This may be a good time to experiment with your square wave or dual wave bolus features on your son's insulin pump to see if that may help with the late highs you're seeing. There is not a real rule of thumb, but try using these advanced features on his pump and find what works best.

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Daily Care