From Broomall, Pennsylvania, USA:

My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was 11 years old, and I'm afraid that my six year old nephew will eventually get it also. Is there a way to diagnose type 1 diabetes before any signs show?

There are experimental tests that can give a better estimate of risk than calculations based purely upon family history. However, since there is nothing that can be done (at the present time) to prevent diabetes, I am of the opinion that testing like this outside of a clinical trial, and in the absence of any signs or symptoms, is unethical.