Question:

My son has type 1 diabetes. On five different occasions including today, my son has had symptoms of a low blood sugar (shaky, low-hunger, pale) but when he checks, he is not low. He takes a few carbs, checks again, and he is a bit higher so I know he is not dropping quickly. Do you know what this is all about? I can't seem to get an answer for this question.

Answer:

It is possible that he is running higher than he should be. So, for him, when his glucose drops, especially when it drops rapidly, he may have hypoglycemia symptoms. It is worth talking this over with his diabetes team.

The other explanation is that the readings are not accurate, so it may be worthwhile checking that his technique for testing is okay, and if so, getting the meter checked out.

JS