From Miami, Florida, USA:

My husband has a family history of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes, and my six year old daughter just recently had a blood sugar done which her doctor was high, but she was sick with a bad throat infection at the time of the blood test. We are currently awaiting results on a second blood test. What are normal blood sugar levels for a child her age? Could the throat infection have been the reason for the high blood sugar? Please give me any suggestions on hospitals and treatment centers in South Florida.

normal blood sugar typically ranges 65-100 mg/dl [3.6-6,1 mmol/L]. See Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes Guidelines for information regarding the diagnosis of diabetes based on blood sugar readings:

Your daughter's physician will be able to provide you with the name(s) of physicians that can assist you if consultation is necessary for further treatment.

[Editor's comment: Yes, your daughter's infection may have been the cause of the high blood sugar. This is not uncommon. SS]

[Editor's comment: See Finding a New Diabetes Doctor for some hints on finding a new physician. WWQ]