Question:

From Miami, Florida, USA:

My husband has a family history of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes, and my six year old daughter just recently had a blood sugar done which her doctor was high, but she was sick with a bad throat infection at the time of the blood test. We are currently awaiting results on a second blood test. What are normal blood sugar levels for a child her age? Could the throat infection have been the reason for the high blood sugar? Please give me any suggestions on hospitals and treatment centers in South Florida.

Answer:

normal blood sugar typically ranges 65-100 mg/dl [3.6-6,1 mmol/L]. See Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes Guidelines for information regarding the diagnosis of diabetes based on blood sugar readings:

Your daughter's physician will be able to provide you with the name(s) of physicians that can assist you if consultation is necessary for further treatment.

[Editor's comment: Yes, your daughter's infection may have been the cause of the high blood sugar. This is not uncommon. SS]

[Editor's comment: See Finding a New Diabetes Doctor for some hints on finding a new physician. WWQ]