Question:

From San Jose, California, USA:

My daughter received her flu shot, and she eats pretty well, but she has gotten sick a lot this year, and it's starting to affect her grades. This is her first year as a high school student, she is very active in school, she is involved in dance and cheerleading, and I don't want her to start feeling overwhelmed again. She has already gotten so stressed that her hands started to shake uncontrollable. The doctor said it was due to stress, but I'm hoping that vitamins supplements may help to keep her health and not get sick so much. Should I give my daughter vitamin supplements?

Answer:

Generally, if your child is getting a balanced diet with regular exercise and sun, there is no need to give extra vitamins. It may be that she has been exposed to new viruses this year which is the reason for repeated illness. It would be very important to ensure that your child's diabetes is as well controlled as possible, to ensure she stays well.

JS