From Northern Ireland:

Last summer, during a trip to America, my friend and training partner noticed his feet swollen during his stay. The condition has become worse and he has been off work for five months. As far as i know he has had all tests that can be given (X-Ray, MRI, blood for diabetes), and he has been given steroid injections, all to no avail. It is constantly painful, and he cannot even do gentle swimming. Can anyone please give any further advice or send us in another direction?

The limitations of this medium do not allow us to tell you what is wrong with your friend. I agree it does not sound like diabetes. However, there are a number of conditions that can cause this and they require follow-up with a physician for diagnosis. If your friend is not having any results using his current physician, I would have him request a consultation with another physician who can give him a second opinion regarding his problems. Clearly, it sounds like it having a large impact on his quality of life. The ailments that can cause the swelling are too diffuse to mention at present.