From Friendsville, Maryland, USA:

I am just 31 years old, and I have had type 1 diabetes for 21 years. I take care of myself physically, am very active and generally healthy, and I am kind of scared to see these painful sores developing all over me like this. Within the past month, I have begun to develop some sort of painful, huge and ugly boils, or sores on my body. They are not in one particular spot but just kind of develop like a painful red bump, then continue to grow. The one on my face looks like a big hole, and the other ones are doing the same exact thing.

I only showed the one on my face to my doctor who said people with diabetes get these often, and he wrote me a prescription for an antibiotic. I did not make any other correlation between it and the other three until yesterday when I finally decided that I was not imagining these awful sore boils were just a coincidence. I honestly thought they were just a few stray pimples, but I read in a book today about carbuncles, and I think this is what I am experiencing.

If carbuncles are what I have, are they treatable maybe with a continual low dose of antibiotics? Are they something that will eventually pass? Are they treatable, Will I need to be treated for the rest of my life in order to make them disappear? Are they something that I will, in fact, have to endure for the rest of my life?

I think they would be treatable with antibiotics. However, you have to eliminate the carrier state of the antibiotic on your skin. It make take some time to do that. In order to have and effective treatment, you may need to see a dermatologist who will treat you with systemic and topical antibiotics.