From Marshall, Minnesota, USA:

I have type 1 diabetes, and for the past two weeks, I have been treating low blood sugars with glucose tablets on average five per week. By the end of the first week, I began having abdominal cramps and nausea which has been continuous. I feel this way most of the time regardless of what my blood sugars are. Can the frequent daily use of glucose tablets cause this?

If you are asking can the ongoing ingestion of glucose tablets cause your intestinal symptoms, the answer is a qualified "maybe." There are intestinal "motility" problems (e.g., "dumping syndrome") that can be associated with poorly controlled diabetes, but I would not expect that in a teen.

Glucose tablets, per se, would not cause this. Other sweetener substitutes, such as various sugar-alcohols (e.g."sorbitol") notoriously can cause intestinal cramping and other symptoms as can similar conditions such as lactose intolerance. I would also consider celiac disease. Regardless, you should have an evaluation.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Aches and Pains