Question:

From Marshall, Minnesota, USA:

I have type 1 diabetes, and for the past two weeks, I have been treating low blood sugars with glucose tablets on average five per week. By the end of the first week, I began having abdominal cramps and nausea which has been continuous. I feel this way most of the time regardless of what my blood sugars are. Can the frequent daily use of glucose tablets cause this?

Answer:

If you are asking can the ongoing ingestion of glucose tablets cause your intestinal symptoms, the answer is a qualified "maybe." There are intestinal "motility" problems (e.g., "dumping syndrome") that can be associated with poorly controlled diabetes, but I would not expect that in a teen.

Glucose tablets, per se, would not cause this. Other sweetener substitutes, such as various sugar-alcohols (e.g."sorbitol") notoriously can cause intestinal cramping and other symptoms as can similar conditions such as lactose intolerance. I would also consider celiac disease. Regardless, you should have an evaluation.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Aches and Pains