Question:

From Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes, treated with diet and exercise, and have been having some low blood sugars (50-70 mg/dl [2.8 - 3.9 mmol/L]) lately, particularly fasting ones. This has also happened during the daytime too, despite eating my normal diet. Could this possibly be caused by an extremely cold weather pattern we've for the past few weeks? I thought perhaps I had to burn more calories to keep warm and that would affect my blood sugars.

Answer:

I don't think the cold weather is the most likely cause of the low sugars. Normally, in colder weather, people are less physically active and that really has an impact on your sugars.

I would talk to your physician about trying to find a cause for this. As long as you are monitoring, you can work with your physician and add a medication if the sugars go back up again at a later time.