Question:

From Katy, Texas, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for over 33 years. My child is showing significant signs and has postprandial hyperglycemia in the ranges of 200-300 mg/dl [11.1- 16.7 mmol/L] as well, but he seems to be able to pass the glucose tolerance test.

Answer:

Blood sugars in the 200-300 mg/dl [11.1-16.7 mmol/L] range are clearly abnormal and require treatment. I would suggest reviewing this with your physician and seeking a referral for further consultation if necessary. For more details regarding blood sugars that are abnormal see Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes.