From Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA:

For about two months, my 22 month old daughter (32.5 inches, 21pounds) has been waking up during the night crying. When I go in, she asks for a cup or is appeased when I give her a cup. I don't know if it's something she does because she wants me to come in, or if it's genuine thirst. The other night I just let her cry, and she hasn't done it since. Her appetite isn't that good. She eats a couple bites of things and then doesn't want anymore, but asks for food often during the day. I guess this is typical for her age. I don't know whether to be concerned about her having diabetes or not. I'm worried, and could use some good advice.

Your daughter's weight may not be concerning, but more important may be her rate of growth rather than how much she weighs today. I would suggest letting your physician know that you are concerned about her weight and height. I would review her growth patterns in your pediatrician's office with your pediatrician who should take the time necessary to help you figure out if her growth pattern is concerning. If she has more typical signs of diabetes such as excessive thirst, frequent urination, weight loss, and excessive hunger, then she may indeed need to be tested for diabetes.