From Millen, Georgia, USA:

My cousin was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about three weeks ago, and the school nurse told my aunt that she had to be really careful about my cousin getting sick since she was newly diagnosed because an illness could send her to the hospital. She has two sisters and one brother and not being exposed to an illness is kind of hard if there is one going around. How accurate is that?

While well intentioned, the advice should not cause panic. Children with type 1 diabetes have a greater fluctuation, often higher blood sugars when ill so I think that was the concern of the nurse. She knew that illness made diabetes management more intense and more difficult. You have to pay more attention to details, glucose testing and maybe ketone testing. Without attention, one is more likely to become ill enough to go to the hospital. That said, it is avoided every day by careful parents and children so don't fret too much.

Posted to Sick Days