Question:

From India:

My six year old son was diagnosed a week ago, is on insulin twice daily, and I read about surgery being done in Japan for this problem. Is it safe? Can you give further information? Can't the glands function again?

Answer:

There is no surgery that can fix diabetes in children. I would recommend learning all you can about diabetes by visiting Diabetes Basics.

[Editor's comment: Also see islet cell transplants. Such transplants are experimental, and are used only for a very few adults at the present time. SS]

Posted to Research: Cure