From India:

My six year old son was diagnosed a week ago, is on insulin twice daily, and I read about surgery being done in Japan for this problem. Is it safe? Can you give further information? Can't the glands function again?

There is no surgery that can fix diabetes in children. I would recommend learning all you can about diabetes by visiting Diabetes Basics.

[Editor's comment: Also see islet cell transplants. Such transplants are experimental, and are used only for a very few adults at the present time. SS]

Posted to Research: Cure