Question:

From From Lee's Summit, Missouri, USA:

My nine year old son seems to have terrible reactions to sugar, and seems to get hyper, then mean, then very whiny, even from one or two glasses of Coke. This is a pattern that my husband and I recognize quite clearly so we try to limit the sugar as much as we can.

I have had several people tell me he may have diabetes or something, but his weight is normal, and he has no apparent weight loss. However, he does feel the need to drink a lot and urinate frequently. I have spoken to his pediatrician, who says he wouldn't have an adverse reaction from sugar, that it was hooey, and to take him to a doctor for behaviors. He truly is an angel of a kid, and has no other behavior problems other than after consuming sugar. Please help.

Answer:

It is unlikely your child has diabetes from what you say. Children with diabetes do not react this way to sugar. It may be that he is reacting to the additives which is not uncommon. However, there is the possibility that there is no causal link, and your child may have a behavioural problem. Either way, it is worth while talking it over with your son's doctor.

JS