Question:

From Clearwater, Kansas, USA:

About a week ago, my dad, who had very brittle diabetes, was killed in a car accident, and over the past few weeks, he had multiple episodes of severe hypoglycemia.On autopsy, can they determine this? How is that done? The autopsy report isn't back yet, but MI, CVA, and alcohol have already been ruled out to present.

Answer:

First, I am very sorry about your father's death. With regard to the autopsy, pathologists can determine the glucose concentration in the anterior chamber of the eye. If this is low, it is a good indicator that hypoglycemia was present at the time of death. You might talk with the medical examiner to see if this can be used in your father's evaluation.