Question:

From Traverse City, Michigan, USA:

I have never met a person with type 1 diabetes who was not allergic to penicillin. How come I never see research on this?

Answer:

We have hundreds of folks with type 1 diabetes, and penicillin allergy is just as common as in those people without diabetes. I suspect that there's no research about it because it's not a clinical problem.

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

Interesting since I know of many, many folks with type 1 diabetes, and I can only think of 1 person who was allergic to penicillin.

LSF

Additional comments from Dr. Philip Ledereich:

My child has type 1 diabetes, and he takes penicillin-related antibiotics as needed. I know of no association that you mention. There only is an association with other autoimmune diseases. If you know someone who is allergic to penicillin, please have them tell all their physicians about this and make sure they stay away from penicillins and their derivatives.

PSL

Additional comments from Dr. David Schwartz:

I would hazard that only a handful of my patients with type 1 diabetes have penicillin allergy so I must think that your observation is unique.

Additional comments from Dr. Jim Lane:

From experience as a practicing physician taking care of patients with type 1 diabetes, I can tell you that is not the case. The frequency is similar to the general population.

Posted to Other Medications