From Newcastle, England:

My 22 year old girlfriend received a foot spa and a back massager for Christmas, but when reading the instructions I found out that people with diabetes cannot not use these products. I think it's something to do with the vibrations, but I may be wrong. Why can't people with diabetes use a foot spa or a back massager?

People with problems with feeling pain or heat due to a complication of the nerves called neuropathy may not realize if the heat is too high or they are having an injury. I believe this is the reason for the warning, though I do not know for sure.

[Editor's comment: I too suspect the reason is related to neuropathy. I recall a patient who had neuropathy, used a vibrating-type of foot bather, and actually rubbed the skin off the bottom of his foot, not realizing the injury until he looked at his foot later. WWQ]