Question:

From Kissimmee, Florida, USA:

In one of your previous responses, you said that in Florida all insulin supplies are available without prescription. I have heard this from several other sources as well. but I need you to verify because none of my local pharmacies will sell needles without proof of diabetes such as insulin or an insulin prescription.

Answer:

According to the information we have, the State of Florida does not mandate prescriptions for insulin. However, prescriptions for syringes (needles) depends on the county in which they are purchased. Most counties do not require them, but Broward County does.

You said that none of my local pharmacies will sell needles without proof of diabetes such as insulin or an insulin prescription. The rationale for requiring some sort of diabetes verification is to prevent people who want syringes for untoward purposes from being able to buy them.

SS